Thursday, October 7, 2010

Hitting close to home

Well, now that October has rolled around, a lot of things are moving along quite quickly in my daily life.  The beloved orchestra director has decided to have us play Requiem for our fall concert.  It's amazingly beautiful, although a little bland for the basses.  In my opinion, it's more so for the chorus, rather than the orchestra; nevertheless, it's fantastic when it's all put together.  It took me a bit to realize that it's a Roman Catholic funeral mass.  Considering my family is Catholic and my grandfather passed last October, I think it might hit a little too close to home for some of my relatives.
In other news, the most frightening assignment of the year so far has finally passed for me, thank God.  The assignment was to read the novel The Prince by N. Machiavelli, and then a week later, write an essay about it.  The essay's main topic was, "What is Machiavelli's idea of a great leader?"  Considering I couldn't stay awake while reading the book, I barely knew this.  Although, the night before the essay, I highlighted everything I needed to mention in the novel; in which, it worked out fine, and I got an A.  I'd say that's an epic win.
On another note, I've been stressed beyond belief with so many things happening at once.  Then again, I'm an adrenaline junkie, so it doesn't really bother me all that much.  The only thing that's getting to me is now that Zack has graduated, I hear his name almost everyday in some conversation or another.  I mean, really?  It's irritating.  I assumed that once he was gone, I'd never hear anything about or to do with him again; but no, that'd be too simple.  Wouldn't it?  I still miss him a lot and I'm still a little upset about the whole thing.  Then again, it really doesn't matter.  Nothing will bring him back.  Hopefully this Saturday will take my mind off of that whole subject.  (I'll detail that another time.)

L M Butler

No comments: